Career Opportunities

Below is a listing of our current openings. If you think that your talents are a good fit for our organization, we’d love to hear from you! No listing that meets your expertise? Introduce yourself anyway. Send your resume and cover letter to talent@thewakemanagency.com.


Special Events Manager

The Wakeman Agency is an event management and public relations agency that helps progressive nonprofits and socially responsible organizations to advance important causes.  We have an opening for a Special Events Manager.

Over the next 12 months, we are endeavoring to build a highly skilled remote workforce. This role will eventually be a telecommuting role. After a period of months for acclimation, the selected individual will work remotely for approximately 75% of their working hours, with the other 25% being spent in our White Plains office for team days and activities.

The candidate will have a proven record of delivering breakthrough event strategies and programs, including developing and managing timelines and executing critical engagement tactics at the events that exceed our clients’ goals. Many of the events we plan are galas.  The SE manager would be responsible for creating revenue-generating events that help to raise our clients’ profile. The events manager must have experience with fundraising events and the unique needs of the nonprofit community.  

This is an opportunity to be a key contributor at a growing agency. This position requires an exceptionally creative and dynamic special event professional.  

RESPONSIBILITIES

  • Provide management oversight for full project life cycle from concept through execution.
  • Develop concepts for client events, tied to key business objectives and goals.
  • Create production documents to give clients visual overview of the event environment.
  • Develop fundraising strategy to maximize revenues for all charity events.
  • Manage event staff during the planning and execution of events.
  • Manage full plan around each event, inclusive of project timeline and resources required.
  • Present innovative, creative concepts to clients that help to illustrate their narrative at the event.
  • Serve as on-site lead to execute events.
  • Budget tracking and analysis for events.
  • Manage prep and debrief/postmortem process with senior team for each event to identify process improvements.
  • Create status reports documenting progress of event projects.
  • Liaise with vendors such as printers, mail house and graphic designers for various projects.
  • Engage with senior level executives related to fundraising responsibilities.
  • Oversee Committee meetings and set strategic direction to help meet fundraising goals.

REQUIREMENTS

  • Minimum of 3 years working in an agency environment, with responsibility for multiple fundraising projects.
  • 6+ years successful event/meeting coordination.
  • Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, adhering to rigorous service levels.
  • Solid experience creating revenue-generating events.
  • Demonstrated ability to build and lead projects from inception to completion.
  • Understanding of events and sponsorship cycles.
  • Excellent oral and written communication skills.
  • High level of comfort with technology and SasS based tools.
  • History of conceptualizing large-scale, high-profile events.
  • Existing relationships with local nonprofit decision makers, vendors and event professionals.
  • Ability to handle projects of sensitive or urgent nature, in a professional/timely manner.
  • Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours (as necessary) for evening events.
  • Proven track record of planning and executing events, with targeted financial goals.
  • Internet savvy.
  • Familiarity with CRM tools (Salesforce, MS Dynamics, etc).
  • Familiarity with space planning tools.
  • Familiarity with the nonprofit landscape.
  • Experience working in a virtual setting is a plus.

We are seeking a full or part-time candidate for this role, and will consider a freelancer, if it is the right fit.

In addition to your resume, please forward a second document responding to the following questions:

  1. What is the highest amount of revenue generated from a fundraising event that you planned?
  2. How many projects have you simultaneously managed over one calendar year? Please provide size and budget for each.
  3. What tools are you most comfortable with/consider to be your must-haves, during your event planning and execution?
  4. What types of events do you enjoy planning most?
  5. What interaction do you have with client, volunteers and/or board members, if any, while planning events?
  6. What is your favorite event space in NYC and why?

Interested parties, please send a cover letter and resume to talent@thewakemanagency.com for consideration. We offer a competitive salary and benefits.


Public Relations Manager

The Wakeman Agency is an event management and public relations agency that helps progressive nonprofits and socially responsible organizations to advance important causes.  We have an opening for a Public Relations Manager.

Over the next 12 months, we are endeavoring to build a highly skilled remote workforce. This is a telecommuting role. The selected individual will work remotely for approximately 75% of their working hours with the other 25% being spent in our White Plains office for team days and activities.

The candidate will have experience working in an agency environment.  Our clients come to us for campaigns that help them to increase their visibility and generate revenue for important causes. The PR Manager must be comfortable with shaping strategy while also executing tactical activities to meet the goals of our clients.  

This is an opportunity to be a key contributor at a growing agency. This position demands a proven understanding of the media landscape.  

RESPONSIBILITIES:

  • Oversee day-to-day account management.
  • Aggressively pitch clients to national and regional media (print and online) and secure editorial placement, coordinate press opportunities and handle all press inquiries.
  • Communicate with key client contacts to manage expectations, account activity and deliverables.
  • Initiate and respond quickly to inquiries from the news media.  
  • Generate and build relationships with influencers and news outlets nationally, regionally and locally.
  • Meet with clients on an ongoing basis to develop story ideas, pitches and strengthen relationships.
  • Make recommendations on behalf of project goals.
  • Support project efforts by bringing new ideas and offering fresh perspectives.

KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:

  • Independence and autonomy with respect to responsibilities and exhibit a deep understanding of the clients, accounts and industry.
  • Strong media relations skills.
  • High comfort level with social media as it relates to creating awareness for personalities and organizations.
  • Existing relationships with local and national media contacts.
  • Excellent written and verbal skills, confident style in communicating with media and clients, and a proven ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks.
  • Positive, professional, and flexible attitude that lends itself to superior service.
  • Generalist who is comfortable assessing the key message points of an organization and turning them into solid story ideas.
  • Comfortable managing client expectations.
  • Self-starter who is able to take on assignments and deliver results.
  • Solid research skills.
  • Familiarity with Cision, Vocus or similar tools.
  • Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment.

REQUIREMENTS:

A minimum of 5 years paid experience in public relations.  

We are seeking a full or part-time candidate for this role, and will consider a freelancer, if it is the right fit.

Preference will be given to those who have worked in the nonprofit/social enterprise community.

We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, in addition to a dynamic environment to learn and grow.

Interested parties, please send a cover letter and resume to talent@thewakemanagency.com for consideration.