Fair warning: This is a long, but worthwhile, read.
As our agency matures and our vision grows, we recognize the need to have some specific marketing and branding related experts as part of our team, at this stage of our development. We have identified a number of roles that we believe would be valuable to our organization.
Each of these roles is freelance/consulting, with a specific number of hours per month. While remote in nature, we expect that the selected individuals will be available for weekly meetings (usually hosted on Mondays and Wednesdays mornings), as well as be reachable during traditional work hours, during specific periods. This structure will help us ensure smooth communication with the group, and the ability to meet our collective deadlines.
These roles are not for individuals looking to augment their day jobs by performing work after hours for us. While each role offers a lot of freedom, we are looking for people that are excited about our work and what we are trying to accomplish. We want individuals that still get excited about trying to do what may feel impossible at points. We want you to feel empowered to contribute your brilliance to help us provide much needed services to the social change sector. That being said, we will happily give a hungry, but savvy, new marketer a chance over the seasoned resource that isn’t really excited about our work, or doesn’t read our full posting and follow instructions about how to respond.
As a remote team, communication and the ability to follow established processes is key. We want creative thinkers, bold strategists, active learners, agents of change and responsible do-ers.
Interviews will be conducted via Zoom. Depending on the number of qualified candidates we receive, we may need to contact respondents with questions to help us further filter who we interview.
Our plan for the first period of engagement with the team will last 90 days. The three priorities for this 90 day period are:
- to increase online presence with engagement with our key audiences
- successful launch of our new programs
- establish clear brand voice and style
When responding to the posting, please include the specific role of interest in the subject. If none of these roles are you, but you feel you have something to offer based on what we’ve shared above, and what you’ve learned about us on our website, you are welcome to send your resume. Please use Created My Own Role as your subject line. Note: If you are applying with the role you created, you should share a blurb here about why you think it is important for us to have that role now.
Resumes should be sent to talent[at]thewakemanagency.com.
Along with your resume, please include your answers to the following questions. No cover letter is needed.
- How do you think your specific experience can be helpful to us based on the priorities shared?
- Share the most important lesson you’ve learned from a project that was a failure for you. We don’t need any information about the project, we just want to hear about the lesson.
- What is your superpower?
- What is your dream project?
- Share anything else you would like us to know, to pique our interest in your as a candidate.
PRODUCT MARKETING MANAGER
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are a looking for a proven, creating product marketer to join our team as a freelancer. As a product marketer, you will be responsible for telling the world the story of an exciting new program that we are offering as part of our She Roars thought leadership initiative. You will be expected to be our chief advocate for this program and its benefits. Additionally, you will be charged with crafting the strategy around the messaging and marketing for the launch.
- Educate both external stakeholders on our product features and their benefits.
- Create content (e.g. product videos, website copy, blog posts, Quora, and other forums) to articulate the benefits of our program to the world.
- Measure and optimize the buyer journey as it relates to program adoption and usage.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent working experience.
- Past experience in digital marketing, product marketing, and/or product management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills — there is a heavy amount of writing and presenting/selling ideas in this role.
- You will be expected to understand product pages, optimize the conversion paths on those pages, and use smart calls-to-action to create and test buyer stage-specific CTAs.
- Ability to work independently and as part of small team
CONTENT MARKETING MANAGER
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are looking for a prolific and talented content creator to write and produce various projects and blog regularly, to expand our company’s digital footprint, awareness, subscribers, and leads. This role requires a high level of creativity, attention to detail, and project management skills.
- Create 1-2 resources each month to drive leads, subscribers, awareness, and/or other important metrics (examples include ebooks, whitepapers, infographics, guides, etc.).
- Blog on an ongoing basis to attract site visitors through search, social, and our email subscribers.
- Grow our subscriber base by providing them regular, helpful content that’s in-tune with their needs.
- Collaborate with designers, product marketing, leadership, and external influencers and industry experts to produce relevant content that meets the needs of both key stakeholders and our audience.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent working experience.
- Past experience producing content for the web specifically, as well as channel-specific knowledge (blog, SlideShare, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Past experience building audiences either online or offline.
- A dual-minded approach: You’re highly creative and an excellent writer but can also be process-driven, think scale, and rely on data to make decisions.
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are seeking a savvy wordsmith to join our marketing team as a freelancer. Candidates must have a knack and love for writing and a comprehensive understanding of the nonprofit industry and the current issues of the moment related to social change/social justice.. The blogger will be expected to sustain and develop the company’s voice across all blog content.
- Writing various types of articles on a wide range of topics for our blog
- Optimizing content forsearch engines and lead generation
- Contributing to long-form content projects such as ebooks
- Conducting analytical projects to improve blog strategies/tactics
- Growing blog subscribersand expanding the overall blog’s reach
- A passion and strong understanding of the industry and our business’ mission
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to adopt the style, tone, and voice of our business’ various types of content
- An analytical mind and interest in using data to optimize/scale blog marketing strategies and tactics
- Excellent organizational skills to work independently and manage projects with many moving parts
- 2-3 years of marketing and content creation experience.
DIRECTOR OF BRAND AND BUZZ
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are looking to hire a freelance Director of Brand and Buzz. This brilliant individual will lead a team of creatives and communications experts, as well as own all branding touchpoints. You will craft and maintain the company brand, including messaging, tone, design, and public relations. Goals include: driving awareness, and influencing public opinion through PR and influencer relations.
Our Director will know what it takes to build a brand that connects with key audiences. We want someone with an entrepreneurial spirit that also knows how to work with teams. This role will oversee an array of functional areas to meet brand strategy objectives, including advertising, branded content development, social media content, experiential marketing and strategic partnerships.
- Oversee the creative direction of the brand.
- Ensure the brand is being consistently implemented throughout products, visuals, voice, advertising and partnerships.
- Develop and execute marketing plans and integrated brand campaigns to grow the awareness and reputation of the company, including oversight on creative decisions and media buying strategy.
- Coordination with the marketing team to develop a social media strategy that supports building a strong brand presence, attracting new followers and igniting an engaged community.
- Provide reports to convey brand updates on a regular basis to both keep internal teams on track.
- Manage the Brand Marketing Calendar and collaborate with cross-functional resources.
- Lead team responsible for telling the company story.
- Build the brand through exceptional creative, by nurturing relationships with influencers, partners and key stakeholders.
- Own brand positioning and messaging.
- Provide creative direction on brand-level design projects.
- Minimum 4 years experience in a branding environment.
- Proven and visible marketing resource, with experience overseeing a team of creatives and/or public relations and media outreach experts.
- Leadership experience, with excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience using data points to measure success of tactics.
- Excellent eye for design and typography, and the ability to deliver constructive feedback to the creative team.
- Experience with other creative disciplines a plus (e.g. video, events, podcasting, etc.)
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are seeking a creative, artistic individual to provide graphic design services on an ad hoc basis. The Graphic Designer is responsible for the creation and maintenance of our marketing assets and content created, to support our product and other marketing goals. From concept through execution, this resource will improve our user experience by bringing our brand to life, and keeping it consistent across all channels and touchponts.
- Collaborate with members of the team to support our design needs (social media graphics, ebooks, block images, brochures, etc.).
- Bring new ideas for design and content creation to the team, using your expertise and eye for great design.
- Scope and create templates for our team to be more efficient for their posting on social media, the blog, email, and other channels.
- Manage other design needs, as they arise.
- Past work either as an in-house designer, or at a marketing agency. We require relevant and recent work samples to apply for this position.
- This position must create assets for our team that are mobile, tablet, and desktop-friendly and provide a user experience that represents equally on all three platforms.
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite, or similar technologies.
COPYWRITER & EDITORIAL MANAGER
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are on the search for a freelance copywriter and editorial manager to refine and advance our editorial vision and mission, including helping to plan, produce, and analyze the written content we create. This role will help build our editorial calendar and written guidelines, as well as determine sources for content both internally and externally. This person may also be asked to create a network of freelancers and go-to influencers in our industry, to format our content, and line edit.
- Build our editorial calendar and written guidelines.
- Determine sources for content creation, both internally and externally.
- Serve as an exemplary writer, consistent with our company’s tone and mission. You write clean, concise, well-polished copy.
- Edit content produced by your teammates, including conceptualizing the projects upfront and copy-editing prior to publishing.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and customer challenges in order to build a more effective editorial calendar.
- Experience managing an editorial calendar for a media publication or marketing team.
- Experience positioning organizations through thought leadership content.
- Comfortable ideating topics for writing that will resonate with specific target audiences.
- Excellent attention to detail, both for line editing copy and consistency in style and tone, across our content.
INBOUND MARKETING MANAGER
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are looking for a data-driven inbound marketer to own the majority of the marketing funnel for our company. While this is a freelance role, you will be in charge of attracting site traffic, converting that traffic into new leads for the business, and nurturing to close those leads into customers, the latter of which sales leadership will help you accomplish.
- Build and manage a rich content/editorial calendar that attracts a qualified audience to our owned properties (including blog posts, whitepapers, ebooks, reports, webinars, infographics, etc.).
- Grow new leads, including marketing-qualified leads, by converting site traffic through calls-to-action, landing pages, and lead generation content (including offers).
- Optimize our marketing automation and lead nurturing processes through email, content, and social channels.
- Establish closed-loop analytics to understand how our inbound marketing activity turns into customers, and continually refine our process to convert customers.
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker, with an ability to use data to inform all decisions.
- Proficiency in marketing automation and blogging software features in order to generate traffic, convert visitors into leads, and then nurture them (using dynamic workflows) into converted customers.
SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We’re looking for a social media manager to grow our followers, engage and retain them, and help convert them into leads, customers, and active fans and promoters of our company. You should have command of best practices and trends in social media marketing, enjoy being creative, and understand how to both build and convert a digital audience.
- Build and manage the company’s social media profiles and presence, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and potentially additional channels (Snapchat, Instagram, Vine, etc.).
- Create shareable content appropriate for specific networks, to both spread our brand and our content and links.
- Listen and engage in relevant social discussion about our company, competitors, and/or industry, both from existing customers and leads and from brand new audiences that don’t yet know us.
- Run regular social promotions and campaigns and track their success, ranging from Twitter chats, IG contests, to LinkedIn conversations, as well as the content and links posted through these and other channels.
- Work alongside other members of the team to help distribute content that educates and entertains our audience.
- Drive consistent, relevant traffic and leads from our social network presence.
- Explore new ways to engage and new social networks to reach our target buyers.
- Active and well-rounded personal presence on social media, with a command of each network and their best practices.
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker, with an ability to use both data and intuition to inform decisions.
- Experience using scheduling and measurement tools
- This role is local to the New York City area. The selected individual must be available to attend events as needed, to share live valuable content on social media.
EMAIL MARKETING MANAGER
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are hiring a freelance email marketing manager to be the biggest supporter of our existing contact list possible. We have a mailing list of approximately 5000 individuals in our sector but have not identified the best approaches to nurturing that list. We want you to understand the right nurture tracks to provide incremental value and nudge our leads towards sale in a way that feels human and still converts. We also need you to understand the right types of content to send to the right people at the right time, both for lead nurturing and to boost the sharing and forwarding of our content-driven emails.
- Manage and build various email lists and campaigns, including designed templates, calls-to-action, and content for email marketing campaigns.
- Segment lists based on behaviors, including past email engagement and website interactions (content downloads, site page visits, etc.).
- Measure results and optimize the nurture tracks for these segments, to convert leads to customers.
- Work to minimize list decay and unsubscribes, while increasing productivity of our email sends.
- Develop documentation and road maps for processes, A/B tests, and promotions that succeed through email.
- Past experience with email marketing, lead nurturing, marketing automation, and/or web analytics.
- Highly analytical and able to derive meaning from data through A/B testing and email optimization.
- Excellent writer and communicator (in both written and verbal form).
PAID MARKETING MANAGER
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies to advance important causes through awareness and influence building. We are seeking a freelance paid marketing manager to help acquire new leads and customers through online pay-per-click and cost-per-acquisition campaigns. You will be in charge of all external, online acquisition marketing, managing the strategy, execution, and optimization across channels.
- Manage the strategy and setup of all paid campaigns.
- Measure and optimize our paid marketing using vendor-specific dashboards, Google Analytics, and landing page source reports.
- Research and test partnerships with new vendors to expand our reach and/or lower cost-per-acquisition.
- Collaborate with marketing teammates to maintain a consistent brand voice and message across all paid programs.
- Craft landing pages and lead-gen forms for our content to distribute through relevant paid programs.
- Stay up-to-date with digital marketing trends and potential new channels and strategies to keep us ahead, including updates to social media marketing, attribution, and programmatic media buying.
- In-depth knowledge of the various paid marketing channels and technologies, including paid search, retargeting, social network advertising (Facebook, LinkedIn and more), as well as content distribution and placement networks.
- Excellent communicator, with ability to sell and convince. You will manage all relationships with vendors and ensure we get the most efficient cost possible.
- Experience maximizing small marketing budgets and forecasting/reporting results.