PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER – (NYC METRO AREA)
The Wakeman Agency is a social change agency that amplifies the voices of mission-driven causes and the people that lead them. We provide strategic thinking and execution, via public relations, special events, and thought leadership training that build influence and generate revenue for important social causes. We are seeking a collaborative, and strategic-minded communicator, who is passionate about social change, to join us in a consulting role as a Public Relations Manager.
This is a telecommuting role. The selected individual will work remotely for approximately 70% of their working hours, with the other 30% being spent in our White Plains, NY office, and at client meetings or events.
The selected candidate will have experience working in an agency environment. Our clients come to us for campaigns that help them to increase their visibility and generate revenue for important causes. The PR Manager must be comfortable with shaping strategy while also executing tactical activities to meet the goals of our clients.
The Public Relations Manager must have a proven track record developing and executing successful PR programs. The PR Manager will be comfortable leveraging the discipline of public relations to help clients build awareness for their mission. This can include media relations, thought leadership, digital strategy and influencer engagement.
The PR Manager is expected to leverage relationships with media contacts, prepare clients for media opportunities, and develop compelling, proactive pitch angles that garner coverage that raise that raise the visibility for mission-driven causes. The selected candidate will have a deep understanding of the nonprofit world and a passion for social justice.
While this is a telecommuting, consulting role, we are looking for an individual that is interested in forging a long-term relationship with the agency and contributing to projects to help exceed client expectations. We offer a collaborative work culture. People that are interested in contributing their experience, thoughts and ideas thrive in our fast-paced environment. We have worked on campaigns for clients focused on education, civil rights, entrepreneurship, women’s rights, animal rights, health and a number of pressing social issues. Members of our team are aware of the current social issues being addressed around the country, and want to create some noise to create change. This is an opportunity to be a key contributor at a growing agency.
This position demands a proven understanding of the changing media landscape and a willingness to be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Day-to-day account management.
- Participate in the development of PR plans.
- Prepare regular status and activity reports.
- Support project efforts, by bringing new ideas and offering fresh perspectives.
- Pitch clients to national and regional media (print and online) and secure editorial placement, coordinate press opportunities and handle all press inquiries.
- Develop key messages for organizations.
- Initiate and respond quickly to inquiries from the news media.
- Generate and build relationships with influencers and news outlets nationally, regionally and locally.
- Communicate with clients on an ongoing basis to develop story ideas, pitches and strengthen relationships.
- Make recommendations on behalf of project goals.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong media relations skills.
- High comfort level with social media, as it relates to creating awareness for leaders and organizations.
- Possesses existing relationships with local and national media contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, confident style of communicating with media and clients, and a proven ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks.
- Positive, professional, and flexible attitude that lends itself to superior service.
- Generalist who is comfortable assessing the key message points of an organization and turning them into solid story ideas.
- Comfortable and artful at managing client expectations.
- Self-starter who is able to take on assignments and deliver results.
- Solid research skills.
- Familiarity with Cision, Vocus or similar tools.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- A minimum of five years paid experience in public relations.
If the idea of working in PR on behalf of progressive organizations that endeavor to change the world is appealing, then we’d love to hear from you. Preference will be given to those who have worked for, or with, nonprofits.
Interested parties should send their resume and the responses to the questions below to [email protected] for consideration. Please use Public Relations Manager New York in the subject of your email, to ensure your email is routed to the appropriate person.
- How do you think your specific PR experience will be useful to the agency, our projects and our clients, based on the information shared in the job description?
- What is your superpower?
- Share the most important lesson you’ve learned from a project that was a failure for you. We don’t need any information about the project; we just want to hear about the lesson.
- What social issues are you most passionate about?