About The Wakeman Agency
Founded in 2003, The Wakeman Agency is a social change firm, partnering with progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies. Known as “the people behind the people at the forefront of social change and innovation,” The Wakeman Agency serves as a trusted advisor to organizations around the globe. Our core services include public relations, special events, crisis communications and strategic counsel.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our Special Events team as a part-time Gala Coordinator. This role will provide a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic, organized individual with a passion for social change to gain valuable skills related to event planning for fundraising events and conferences. You will work with a small team to plan and execute a number of events throughout the year.
This is a busy and sometimes demanding role that requires an individual who can manage many different personalities and work styles and shifting priorities based on client needs. The position requires attention to detail, a high level of organization and a willingness to learn and implement event planning best practices at the highest levels. The coordinator has a superior work ethic, excellent communications skills and a demonstrated ability to lead with grace under pressure.
- Research potential honorees and attendees for events based on mission and goals of the clients
- Prepare letters and correspondence related to fundraising activities as directed by senior event planner(s)
- Maintain a database of all sponsor and ticket purchases to track pledges and funds raised for each event
- Participate in meetings with clients to take notes and provide updates on specific activities
- Interact with event vendors to provide direction on event related tasks
- Conduct email and telephone outreach to potential donors to request financial support for specific events
- Reconcile all returned mail and update client mailing list with new contact information
- Work with the Events team to maintain accurate database of vendors, venues, solicitations and other contacts
- Track event budget and fundraising records
- Prepare and distribute thank you letters to sponsors and donors after the event
- Prepare correspondence and materials to send to Board of Directors and Committee members
- Review event materials for accuracy
- Use project management software to track tasks and deadlines
- Assist with logging journal advertisements and uploaded them for use by graphic design teams
- Answer emails and phone calls regarding event logistics
- Maintain updated reconciliation lists of donations and revenue
- Provide on-site support at events performing a variety of roles in support of the client’s vision for the event
- 3+ years in an administrative role
- Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising events (galas, conferences, awards ceremonies, etc.)
- Solid use of Google Drive
- Proficiency in Google Sheets and/or Excel and the ability to manipulate data using standard formula calculations
- Excellent customer services skills
- General understanding of project management processes and tool
- Familiarity with Salesforce.com or other database tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable interacting with people at events and troubleshooting
- Available to attend in-person events
- Must be located in New York City and able to travel to convenings and events across New York City
- Light travel for events in other cities as needed
If the idea of planning galas in support of organizations that endeavor to change the world is appealing, then we’d love to hear from you. Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply.
This is a part-time hourly position for 20 hours per week. The role has the potential to transition to full-time at the beginning of Q3 2023. The hourly rate for this part-time role is $25-$30 per hour.
To apply, please send a resume to [email protected]. In the subject line, please write: Gala Coordinator.