New York Urban League
Elevating a Legacy Event: New Audiences and Increased Revenue
At a Glance
- Refresh event to reflect deeper focus on Diversity, Equity and inclusion
- Expand engagement in honoree nomination process
- Increase fundraising revenue
- Event Management
- Fundraising Strategy
- Audience Development
- Event Rebranding
- Messaging Architecture
- Exceeded increased fundraising goal by 15%
- Event branding and positioning that reflected a more current understanding of DEI challenges
- Increased engagement with sponsors
- Expanded stakeholder engagement
Champions and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Lexical adjustments in messaging to more intentionally reflect modern perspectives around DEI.
- Changing the event name to more broadly encompass DEI.
- Developed a jury process to rigorously vet nominations for DEI awards, to ensure award recipients had measurable and sustainable DEI practices in place.
- Developed and successfully executed a fundraising pyramid designed to increase revenue by 15% from the previous year’s event.
- Used panels and a jury process as a way to engage former honorees, keeping them connected to the organization.
- Redesigned the sponsorship opportunities to create additional revenue streams with the new event format.
Events That Drive Action
Leveraging The Wakeman Agency’s expertise in event management, messaging architecture, social justice based communications and fundraising strategy, what emerged was a unique and updated experience for one of NYUL’s signature events.
Through The Wakeman Agency’s strategic approach to event experiences and deep understanding of how that connects to fundraising, audience development, and supporter engagement, NYUL was able to strengthen their existing stakeholder ties, while establishing new connections—all geared towards driving action in message amplification around the organization’s mission, DEI and fundraising.
Let’s explore how we can help you actualize your strategic goals through special events.