About The Wakeman Agency
Founded in 2003, The Wakeman Agency is a social change firm, partnering with progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies. Known as “the people behind the people at the forefront of social change and innovation,” The Wakeman Agency serves as a trusted advisor to organizations around the globe. Our core services include public relations, special events, crisis communications and strategic counsel.
We are seeking a brand journalist to support a preK-12 education initiative. The brand journalist will be responsible for telling the brand story on a weekly basis. This role will have the responsibility of helping to build an organizational newsroom and create editorial content. A key duty of the role includes producing written materials in support of the work being done in the education sector.
Experience interviewing sources to create content and developing stories is required. Must be self-directed/self-motivated and creative, with an awareness of current social justice issues.
We expect the brand journalist to work to understand what’s important to audiences for the focus area(s) to which they are assigned and to use that knowledge to craft stories that amplify the client’s work and relevancy for communities.
- Plan, develop and write a variety of stories
- Craft stories in a manner in which readers understand the need for action or involvement
- Build brand awareness through narrative and story development to help position projects and initiatives as relevant and timely in the social justice space
- Find tie-ins to emerging and current public narratives or news stories to highlight related projects
- Attend local events across the five boroughs of New York to connect with community members for interviews and commentary
- Detail oriented writer who can craft compelling stories
- Four or more years of experience as a professional journalist or writer
- Must be located in New York City and able to travel to convenings and events across New York City
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Solid use of Google Drive
If the idea of telling stories in support of organizations that endeavor to change the world is appealing, then we’d love to hear from you. Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply.
This is a part-time role.
To apply, please send a resume to [email protected]. In the subject line, please write: Brand Journalist.