About The Wakeman Agency
Founded in 2003, The Wakeman Agency is a social change firm, partnering with progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies. Known as “the people behind the people at the forefront of social change and innovation,” The Wakeman Agency serves as a trusted advisor to organizations around the globe. Our core services include public relations, special events, thought leadership development, crisis communications, and strategic counsel.
The Wakeman Agency is seeking a Media Relations Coordinator (MRC) to join the agency and support a number of mission-driven campaigns. The ideal individual will have worked within an agency setting and have a deep understanding of current social issues. The MRC must be skilled at pitching on behalf of clients. The MRC will have ownership for pitching on multiple accounts, requiring them to have strong time management and customer service skills. The selected candidate will be comfortable organizing and overseeing media interview opportunities and preparing clients for interviews.
- Lead efforts to generate media placements for projects, pitching to the media on a daily basis
- Take ownership of media relations for assigned accounts while driving consistent media results; work closely with Account Executive and Director to report the status of accounts deliverables
- Ability to provide ad hoc support for specific projects outside of those in the MRC-assigned portfolio
- Engage frequently with media contacts regarding projects, updates, and breaking news
- Ability to seek out relevant news topics that can be leveraged for thought leadership opportunities and news coverage
- Support team on media plans, providing insight into outlets, angles, etc.
- Craft proactive pitch ideas to share with clients based on trends, emerging developments, and other updates
- Anticipate changes to the media landscape related to the client’s area of focus and offer solutions to support any needed pivots on projects
- Participate in team huddles and brainstorming sessions to develop strategies and tactics for project engagements
- Proven track record of media relations success in nonprofit, philanthropy, or social justice
- Existing relationships with local and national media contacts
- Comfortable preparing status reports to highlight results
- Working knowledge of Asana or other project management tools
- Excellent written and verbal skills, confident style of communicating with media and clients, and a proven ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks
- A positive, professional, and flexible attitude that lends itself to superior service
- Self-starter who is able to take on assignments and deliver results
- Solid research skills
- Familiarity with Cision, Meltwater, or similar tools
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A minimum of five years of paid experience in an agency setting
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
If the idea of working in PR on behalf of progressive organizations that endeavor to change the world is appealing, then we’d love to hear from you. Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQ people are strongly urged to apply.
This is a full-time position with eligibility for benefits including paid vacation and holidays, paid sick leave, health insurance, and retirement savings. Salary is within the range of $70,000 – $80,000. Qualified candidates expressing interest in this position in a part-time or consulting capacity will also be considered.
To apply, please send a resume to [email protected]. In the subject line, please write: Media Relations Specialist. If you do not meet the criteria for this role, but are interested in future opportunities that may be better suited for your skillset, we would still like to hear from you! Send your resume to [email protected] with the subject line: Talent 2023.