About The Wakeman Agency
Founded in 2003, The Wakeman Agency is a social change firm, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies. Known as “the people behind the people at the forefront of social change and innovation,” The Wakeman Agency serves as a trusted advisor to organizations around the globe. Our core services include public relations, special events, thought leadership development, crisis communications and strategic counsel.
The Wakeman Agency is seeking a Narrative & Messaging Strategist to join our team. The ideal individual will have experience and interest in storytelling to advance social justice. This role is 100% remote at this time, with possible travel to New York City a couple of times per year.
The selected candidate will have a proven track record of taking complex ideas and translating them for adoption by diverse stakeholder groups for various social issues. This position requires an understanding of the social justice landscape, messaging and narrative development and qualitative analysis.
- Develop narratives and messaging for clients
- Use storytelling for social justice and social change
- Develop and edit various content pieces for company and clients, including tone and style guides, lexicons, talking points, messaging strategies, and positioning identities
- Research client stakeholders and competition for communications development
- Meet with clients to understand their voice
- Collaborate with PR department and the CEO’S office on storytelling initiatives
- Lead narrative shift design, creation, implementation and revision processes
- Identify key outcomes and success indicators for narrative change work including messaging and narrative tool development
- Develop agency thought leadership and foresight opportunities by identifying trends and best practices in support of effective storytelling for social justice
- Develop communications assets such as voice/messaging guides and toolkits based on research findings
Who we’re looking for
- A creative, curious storyteller
- Someone invested in social justice, DEI, and advancing social responsibility
- An individual with a high level of cultural competency who understands the power of language
- A person who believes that human-centered stories have the power to change
- A self-starter with a drive to run with an idea on their own, but can also collaborate
- 5+ years of experience in storytelling and narrative development
- Experience with qualitative research methods and analysis (ex. Interviews, focus groups, surveys)
- Demonstrated understanding of communications research methods such as public opinion studies and message testing
- Ability to communicate with various audiences and adapt voice as necessary
- Able to juggle multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in social justice communications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Expertise in developing narratives that influence behaviors
- Ability to develop effective communication plans
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide counsel on client facing projects, interacting with leadership teams
- Familiarity with Google Office, Asana, Toggl, and other project management software a plus
- Degree in communications, media studies, or related humanities or social sciences field
If the prospect of working on behalf of progressive organizations that endeavor to change the world is appealing, then we’d love to hear from you. Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people are strongly urged to apply.
This is a full-time position with eligibility for benefits including paid vacation and holidays, paid sick leave, health insurance and retirement savings. Salary is within the range of $70,000 – $85,000. Qualified candidates expressing interest in this position in a part-time capacity will also be considered.
To apply, please send a resume to [email protected]. In the subject line, please write: Narrative & Messaging Strategist.