About The Wakeman Agency
Founded in 2003, The Wakeman Agency is a social change firm, providing support to progressive nonprofits and socially responsible companies. Known as “the people behind the people at the forefront of social change and innovation,” The Wakeman Agency serves as a trusted advisor to organizations around the globe. Our core services include public relations, special events, thought leadership development, crisis communications and strategic counsel.
The Wakeman Agency is seeking a Public Relations Account Director with social justice experience. The Director of PR will serve as a key member of the public relations team and a driving force in the agency’s continuum of successful client engagements. The Director will contribute to and lead a portfolio of public relations projects, working with other team members to advance progress on important social issues. The candidate should be up-to-date on industry trends and best practices. Previous experience in an agency setting will be critical.
This is a remote position but will require occasional in-person meetings in New York City.
- Proven experience in leading client engagements from ideation through execution
- Develop strategic communication plans, including media opportunities, tactics and timelines consistent with the overall PR strategy
- Develop and approve agendas, press materials, pitches, status reports, recaps and other materials
- Working closely with staff to strengthen a culture of innovation, curiosity and excellence
- Manage and delegate responsibilities for daily workflow of multiple projects at various stages of client engagement
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines and with shifting priorities
- Execute and advise on PR strategies and collaboratively develop strategic media plans
- High frequency of communication with clients
- Provide guidance and leadership to junior-level staff on team issues, account workflow and general account issues
- Participate in the development of materials for new business opportunities including proposals, capabilities decks and case studies
- Participate in team huddles and brainstorming sessions to develop communications strategies and ideas
- Stay abreast of the advancement of emerging issues and policy shifts and how they impact the mission-driven organizations we serve
- Organize and lead client meetings
- Manage monthly reporting for account portfolio
- Seven+ years in an agency environment and/or combination of agency and corporate communications department
- Three+ years of leading and managing teams
- Experience in a nonprofit setting and a demonstrated passion for mission-driven work
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, including extensive experience writing and editing
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced environment
- Positive, professional, and flexible attitude that lends itself to superior service
- Comfortable and artful at managing client expectations
If the idea of working in PR on behalf of progressive organizations that endeavor to change the world is appealing, then we’d love to hear from you. Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people are strongly urged to apply.
This is a full-time position with eligibility for benefits including paid vacation and holidays, paid sick leave, health insurance and retirement savings. Salary is within the range of $110,000-$120,000.
To apply, please send a resume to [email protected]. In the subject line, please write: Social Justice Account Director.